Re: Docbook 5.x

От Jürgen Purtz
Тема Re: Docbook 5.x
Дата
Re: Docbook 5.x  (Alexander Law <exclusion@gmail.com>)
Re: Docbook 5.x  (Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@2ndquadrant.com>)
Список pgsql-docs
Hello,

I measured following elapsed times on an Intel i5 processor:
  1. generate all HTML files with dsl script (make html): 0:48 min.
  2. generate all HTML files with xslt script (make xslthtml): 16:01 min.
  3. generate all HTML files with xslt script in the new environment (pure Docbook5): 4:07 min.
  4. Generating different things via dsl scripts in the new environment may be possible. But the changelog of the Docbook5 dsl scripts shows, that the last modification occurred in 2004 - this way is a dead end.
There is one principle and a lot of minor differences between 2 and 3. Solution 2 is based on an xml-file and xslt scripts which are based on Docbook4. The basic difference to 3 is, that in 3 everything is Docbook5 compliant: there are only Docbook5 xml- and xslt-files (as my workflow is: db4 --> xml --> db5 -- (db5 xslt) --> html). The minor differences concerns the fact, that actually there are errors in my xml files and that I made only a few parameterisation to the Docbook5 standard xslt files - no optimization at all.

I used following tools: perl, xmllint and xsltproc. osx and OpenJade are obsolete in the new environment (so far, there is much more work to do).

Jürgen Purtz

On 03.05.2016 22:13, Oleg Bartunov wrote:

On Tue, May 3, 2016 at 10:34 PM, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
Jürgen Purtz wrote:
> Hi,
> actually we use DocBook V4.2 for the PostgreSQL manuals. I suggest an
> upgrade to DocBook 5.x. This sounds simple, but it will be a long process
> with many sub-tasks.

Yes, agreed.  The killer objection placed last time was that it took
something like 10x longer to generate the HTML using the XML-based
toolchain than the SGML-based ones.  If this is not fixed, let's forget
about this whole thing until it is.  So, would you time the process
using both toolchains and report back?
the xml performance may be greatly improved. Alexander, what is current state of art of your patch ? How slow is xml in compare to sgml ?

--
Álvaro Herrera                http://www.2ndQuadrant.com/