Re: Beta1 announcement: alpha1 draft

От Josh berkus
Тема Re: Beta1 announcement: alpha1 draft
Дата
Re: Beta1 announcement: alpha1 draft  ("Joshua D. Drake" <jd@commandprompt.com>)
Re: Beta1 announcement: alpha1 draft  (Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com>)
Список pgsql-advocacy
On 04/26/2016 06:49 PM, Robert Haas wrote:

> IMHO, your "rephrasing" has made this much worse.  You changed the
> description of multiple synchronous standbys so that it now mentions
> only multiple synchronous standbys and omits all mention of
> synchronous_commit=remote_apply;

If we're going to mention remote_apply, then we need to explain what it
means.  Got a 1-sentence description?

> You changed the description of pushdown for FDW so that it no longer
> talks about direct updates, just sort and join pushdown.

Probably direct updates should be its own line then.  Suggested phrasing?

> And you
> changed the description of the freeze map changes so that it's wildly
> inaccurate.

Again, "so WTH should I care if there's a freeze bit on the visibility
map?  This means what to me?"  We have to explain why these features
matter to users instead of just giving technical detail.  Save the
technical detail for the release notes.

> I think the last version JD posted was much better.

It was a much better description with *you* as the target audience, yes.
 However, you are not very representative of the majority of our users.
 My goal is to provide text which will make some sense to people who
haven't paid any attention to PostgreSQL development since 9.5 was released.

Josh Berkus
Red Hat OSAS
(any opinions are my own)