Re: Let's get the OpenSCG packages listed on download

От Joshua D. Drake
Тема Re: Let's get the OpenSCG packages listed on download
Дата
Re: Let's get the OpenSCG packages listed on download  ("Rader, David" <davidr@openscg.com>)
Список pgsql-www
On 04/26/2016 07:15 AM, Dave Page wrote:

>> Good questions!
>
> My first question was directed at you, as you made the assertion: Why
> are these packages clearly more transparent and following the Open
> Source way than the EDB packages?
>
> - It's not clear they are Open Source.

I believe that is being fixed right now per Scott.

> - If you try to download, you get hit with a "Register Here" page, far
> more in your face than I think the EDB installers have ever had (they
> did have once, but it was off to one side - and is long gone
> nowadays).

I don't know that if it is "far more in your face" because there really
isn't much on that page at all except:

Your download will begin shortly

and yes, a register option.

But that seems more like an overall design issue. On the other hand, the
OpenSCG website is far faster to respond than the EDB one :P

> - The logo linking to OpenSCG's site to offer PostgreSQL services is
> the PostgreSQL logo, not the OpenSCG one, which is misleading.

Ugh, you are correct. The way that is presented is very poor. Scott,
Jim? We shouldn't have:

"Sponsor Services"
PostgreSQL

and have it go to your services. It needs to be worded better. Perhaps?

Packages sponsored by OpenSCG services? Or something like that.

> th distributions use the same non-OSS installer technology.
>
> So why do you make the assertion above? What am I missing?

Well first, this isn't about EDB to me. I was going purely off what was
presented which was the 100% open source. As a community we have long
agreed that if an Open Source alternative exists, that is the one that
gets promoted and it should.

If OpenSCG isn't presenting the solution in the manner described in
their announce that either needs to be fixed or, I agree... there is no
reason to list them because we don't want to confuse users.

Lastly, I am not suggesting we remove the packages but I definitely
think something like this is appropriate (assuming OpenSCG fixes a few
things):

Windows Download @ OpenSCG (Open Source)
Windows Download @ EnterpriseDB (Closed Source)

That said, let's not turn this into a roaring backyard fire. Let's see
if OpenSCG can get some of this resolved first.

Sincerely,

JD

--
Command Prompt, Inc.                  http://the.postgres.company/                        +1-503-667-4564

В списке pgsql-www по дате отправления:

Сообщение: Re: Let's get the OpenSCG packages listed on download
Сообщение: Re: Let's get the OpenSCG packages listed on download