Re: Speed up Clog Access by increasing CLOG buffers

От Jim Nasby
Тема Re: Speed up Clog Access by increasing CLOG buffers
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 3/22/16 9:36 AM, Amit Kapila wrote:
>  > > Note, that we are doing it only when a transaction has less than
> equal to
>  > > 64 sub transactions.
>  >
>  > So?
>  >

> They should fall on one page, unless they are heavily interleaved as
> pointed by you.  I think either subtransactions are present or not, this
> patch won't help for bigger transactions.

FWIW, the use case that comes to mind here is the "upsert" example in
the docs. AFAIK that's going to create a subtransaction every time it's
called, regardless if whether it performs actual DML. I've used that in
places that would probably have moderately high concurrency, and I
suspect I'm not alone in that.

That said, it wouldn't surprise me if plpgsql overhead swamps an effect
this patch has, so perhaps it's a moot point.