Re: On-demand running query plans using auto_explain and signals

От Julien Rouhaud
Тема Re: On-demand running query plans using auto_explain and signals
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Hello,

On 15/10/2015 16:04, Pavel Stehule wrote:

> <mailto:tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>>:
>
>     "Shulgin, Oleksandr" <oleksandr.shulgin@zalando.de
>     <mailto:oleksandr.shulgin@zalando.de>> writes:
>     > I was thinking about this and what seems to be the biggest problem is when
>     > to actually turn the feature on.  It seems unlikely that someone will want
>     > to enable it unconditionally.  Enabling per-backend also doesn't seem to be
>     > a good approach because you don't know if the next query you'd like to look
>     > at is going to run in this exact backend.
>
>     Check.
>
>     > What might be actually usable is poking pg_stat_statements for queryid to
>     > decide if we need to do explain (and possibly analyze).
>
>     Hm, interesting thought.
>
>     > Does this make sense to you?  Does this make a good argument for merging
>     > pg_stat_statements and auto_explain into core?
>
>     I'd say more that it's a good argument for moving this feature out to
>     one of those extensions, or perhaps building a third extension that
>     depends on both of those.  TBH, none of this stuff smells to me like
>     something that ought to be in core.
>

> There are few features, that I would to see in core:
>
> 1. possibility to get full SQL string
> 2. possibility to get state string
>
> We can speak how to do it well.

I registered as reviewer on this, but after reading the whole thread for
the second time, it's still not clear to me if the last two submitted
patches (0001-Add-auto_explain.publish_plans.patch and
0002-Add-SHM-table-of-contents-to-the-explain-DSM.patch) are still
needed reviews, since multiple refactoring ideas and objections have
been raised since.

Regards.

--
Julien Rouhaud