Re: 2 questions

От Adrian Klaver
Тема Re: 2 questions
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On 11/25/2015 10:28 AM, anj patnaik wrote:
> Hello all,
> I've got 2 more questions. The cron job is now setup and email gets
> generated with proper body.
>
> I've one setup with NFS which appears to work smoothly. Now soon, I will
> be given a Linux VM on a different physical server, but will retain my
> NFS mount. I've installed Postgres 9.4 using the graphical installer and
> specified the directory for the nfs mount.

Define 'setup with NFS'.

So are you saying this how you set up the old instance or how you are
setting up the new VM?

> 1) When I move to the new VM, can I keep using that NFS mount without
> having to do a re-install of PG? This would be a different physical
> machine.

Where is Postgres installed now?

Not entirely following, but I hope you are not asking if two Postgres
installs can share the same NFS mount? That will end badly.

It might help if you give a schematic description of what you are trying
to achieve.

> 2) I have a cron job that deletes log files older than 10 days, but I am
> noticing rather large log files. Is there a way to limit the size of log
> files?

What I do is keep the previous 2 days of files as written and then keep
compressed files older then that to some period of time. The files
compress a good bit so it works well for me. This is done via a cron
script that runs each night.

> users do upserts and they are valid, but those are getting dumped as
> error statements. I set the verbosity to "terse", but still seeing lots
> of log output.

So what are the errors?

As to 'terse':

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.4/interactive/runtime-config-logging.html#RUNTIME-CONFIG-LOGGING-WHAT
log_error_verbosity (enum)

     Controls the amount of detail written in the server log for each
message that is logged. Valid values are TERSE, DEFAULT, and VERBOSE,
each adding more fields to displayed messages. TERSE excludes the
logging of DETAIL, HINT, QUERY, and CONTEXT error information. VERBOSE
output includes the SQLSTATE error code (see also Appendix A) and the
source code file name, function name, and line number that generated the
error. Only superusers can change this setting.

You lose a lot of valuable information this way. I would go with Albe's
suggestion and change log_min_error_statement.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com