Re: Old source code needed

От Jan de Visser
Тема Re: Old source code needed
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On 2015-11-27 9:44 AM, Adrian Klaver wrote:
>> You realize how old 9.0 is, right? And you understand how nonsensical
>> your question is? How can you guarantee that code compiles properly on a
>> compiler which is released years after you write the code?
>
> To me nonsensical would be trying to compile newer code using an old
> compiler. What the OP did seemed to be in the realm of possibility as
> I would think backwards compatibility kicks in.

Well, maybe. But there's no way to *guarantee* it will work. And
apparently it doesn't.

It's not unheard of - I have some C code which I developed over the last
year or so on gcc 4.9. When I first attempted to compile it on 5.2 it
failed horrible. And there's no real unusual things I'm doing - I didn't
even use C11, just C99.