Re: Selecting newly added column returns empty but only when selecting with other columns in table

От Adrian Klaver
Тема Re: Selecting newly added column returns empty but only when selecting with other columns in table
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On 11/26/2015 06:10 PM, mrtruji wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Thanks for the reply. The limit is just to simplify results for the
> examples. The same behavior occurs when each of the three queries are
> not limited. Whenever I try to filter by the original columns and select
> the new column the resultant values for the new column are empty.
> Conversely, whenever I select the new column along with original columns
> without any filtering the resultant values for the original columns
> return empty. It's as if the added column is disconnected to the table
> in some way causing problems with queries that combine original columns
> and the new one.
>
> I created and filled in the new column externally using psycopg2 in
> Python so I'm not sure if that could be the source of the problem...

Just had a thought. Wondering if when you populated the table you added
all the new_col values without actually populating the other fields. So
now you have existing rows with the non new_col fields populated and
another set of rows with new_col populated but not the other fields.
Your table definition allows NULL in all fields so the above is possible.

What happens if you do:

Select * from data where new_col IS NOT NULL;

select * from data where new_col IS NULL;

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

Сообщение: Re: Selecting newly added column returns empty but only when selecting with other columns in table
Сообщение: Re: Selecting newly added column returns empty but only when selecting with other columns in table