Re: BDR and Backup and Recovery

От Adrian Klaver
Тема Re: BDR and Backup and Recovery
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On 11/18/2015 08:54 AM, Will McCormick wrote:
> Re-sending to group as well Jim :D
>
> Regarding testing backups, Well said Jim. Thanks for taking the time to
> respond. I will test regularly whatever we decide to put in place.
>
> The below is from the 0.9.3 BDR documentation:
>
> "Because logical replication is only supported in streaming mode (rather
> than WAL archiving) it isn't suitable for point-in-time recovery.
> Logical replication may be used in conjunction with streaming physical
> replication and/or PITR, though; it is not necessary to choose one or
> the other."
>
> Am I misinterpreting that BDR uses Logical Decoding and as such I cannot
> perform PITR?

As I read it as, you can not use the BDR stream to do PITR, if for no
other reason then that it can be a subset of a database or database
cluster. Further reason, it does not transfer WAL files that have the
entire picture of the database cluster. As the above says though, there
is nothing stopping you from doing WAL archiving/PITR in parallel to the
BDR stream.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com