Re: BDR and Backup and Recovery

От Jim Nasby
Тема Re: BDR and Backup and Recovery
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On 11/18/15 9:46 AM, Will McCormick wrote:
> What viable options exist for Backup & Recovery in a BDR environment?
>  From the reading I have done PITR recovery is not an option with BDR.
> It's important to preface this that I have almost no exposure to
> postgres backup and recovery. Is PITR not an option with BDR?
>
> If a user fat fingers something and deletes records from a table without
> a where clause what is the correct course of action is to recover as
> much data as possible. What type of backup do I require to restore as
> much data as possible before the incident in a BDR environment.
>
> Sorry for such an open ended question. :D I'm continuing to read as I
> solicit feedback.
>
> Is there a document outlining recovery with BDR?

I don't know why PITR wouldn't work with BDR, other than you can't use
binary backups across incompatible versions and BDR might be considered
incompatible with community Postgres. I would think it should still work
fine if you try to restore to a BDR server.

That said, remember that if you are not regularly (preferably
automatically) testing your backups by doing a restore and testing the
restore, then you don't have a backup. You have a hope and a prayer. :)