Re: Certification

От Josh Berkus
Тема Re: Certification
Дата
Список pgsql-advocacy
On 10/31/2015 01:57 AM, Michael Meskes wrote:
> Josh Berkus wrote:
>> I'm just saying that asking the EDB staff to endorse a certification
>> which competes with EDB's certification is not something I personally
>> would do.
>
> Since, and please correct me if I'm wrong, you're not with EDB I wonder how
> you come to this conclusion. I had a different feedback when talking to some
> directly.

I mean, I would not ask EDB staff to endorse a certification which
competes with their company's cert.  They might choose to do it or not,
but I wouldn't ask.

>>> Ok, thanks. BTW we're not talking questions here, but tasks to be
>>> performed.
>> Oh, does LF have the ability to administer that kind of test?  That
>> would be awesome.
>
> Yes, they do.

That's pretty cool.  That might be a reason on its own to create an LF
certification ... because it's *better* than what's currently available.
 Anyone know what the EDB cert is like?  I know that neither SRA nor
CertFirst do hands-on "fix this" tests.

>> You haven't said what that problem is?
>
> But I have, see above. Just to make it clear again, there is no certification
> for PostgreSQL and PostgreSQL only with no company attached to it. It'd be
> great to have something that independent from those commercial interests.

Personally, I've always seen certification as a commercial activity, so
I don't see the above as a problem on its own.  In fact, the opposite:
certification provides companies with another way to make money off
PostgreSQL which doesn't conflict with code contributions.

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.