Re: recent Gartner's publication

От Josh Berkus
Тема Re: recent Gartner's publication
Дата
Список pgsql-advocacy
On 10/16/2015 08:24 AM, Joe Conway wrote:
> If I remember correctly from years past when I paid any attention
> whatsoever to Gartner, they primarily (only?) analyze companies/products
> that spend money with *them*, and lots of it. If we wanted to get
> PostgreSQL on their radar, it would be very expensive to do so
> unless/until they drastically change the way they pick the dots to place
> on their quad charts. And it is sad, but true, that lots of large
> enterprises put so much stock into what is essentially nothing more than
> a marketing channel (hence the preponderance of large companies and
> those with VC funding).

Yes, absolutely.

Several years ago I had us appearing in the Forrester reports, because
I'd helped out a Forrester staff member and he owed me.  So PostgreSQL
appeared in their industry reports for a few years.  Then their staff
changed, and, because we weren't a paying customer, they used the
information I had supplied specifically to find fault with PostgreSQL
after taking a big cash contract from Ingres (for example, we were
portrayed as "insecure" because we disclose our security vulns.)

This is not a game that we, as a non-profit open source project, can play.

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.

Сообщение: Re: recent Gartner's publication
Сообщение: Re: recent Gartner's publication