Re: hot standby, how to disable WAL archiving ?

От John Scalia
Тема Re: hot standby, how to disable WAL archiving ?
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
Postgresql only writes a single WAL file at any point and it will be the most recent file in the pg_xlog directory. Check the contents of this directory and see if any gaps in filenames appear. You should see an orderly progression in names that follow a hex pattern. If you do see some old files that have gaps in the naming sequence, those should be able to be safely removed. Also, if you've restarted your database, the new wal_keep_segments setting should be active, you can confirm in your database by entering "show wal_keep_segments;" You can then safely remove any files provided you still keep the last n files where n = the value reported by the show command.

FYI, checkpoint_timeout only instructs postgresql to write a checkpoint into the WAL file after this amount of time has elapsed, otherwise based on transaction volume, a checkpoint will be recorded every n WAL files provided the elapsed time has not eclipsed this setting.