Re: Execute DDL across multiple servers in an automated manner

От Adrian Klaver
Тема Re: Execute DDL across multiple servers in an automated manner
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On 08/28/2015 07:09 AM, Anderson Abreu wrote:

> <mailto:adrian.klaver@aklaver.com>>:
>
>     On 08/28/2015 06:35 AM, Anderson Abreu wrote:
>
>         Hi all,
>
>         I usePostgreSQL9.4
>
>         I'm looking for somepackage/library/plugintoexecute DDLacross
>         multiple
>         serversin an automated manner.
>

>     This covers a lot of ground. Could you be more specific:
>
>     1) Do you have a preferred programmng/scripting language?
>

> No, I don't have a preferred language. I thought in a package similar
> the pgbouncer.

So something where you point at a database proxy and it would distribute
the changes to all the databases behind it?

I don't know of such a thing, but maybe someone else does.

>     2) Are you trying to schema versioning or are you rolling out
>     complete packages?
>

> Well, a schema versioning is interesting. Exists any package to postgresql?

I just finished a schema version change using Sqitch(http://sqitch.org/)
  It is not Postgres specific, but that is what I am deploying against.
My needs are simple and I am not deploying against two hundred servers.
There may be way to make that work using Sqitch, but that would probably
be a question for the Sqitch list:

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/sqitch-users

Other schema version systems I know of are Alembic(Python) Rails(ruby).

>     3) What Oses are you dealing with and what method of remote connection?
>

> My OS is ubuntu 14.04 in two hundred servers

Probably should take a look at one of the automated deployment packages:

Chef https://www.chef.io/chef/

Puppet https://puppetlabs.com/

Salt http://saltstack.com/

There are probably others, these are just the ones I know about. They
are general purpose tools but have Postgres specific features. As an
examples:

http://docs.saltstack.com/en/latest/ref/modules/all/salt.modules.postgres.html

https://github.com/puppetlabs/puppetlabs-postgresql#custom-resource-postgresql_psql

>     4) Are the servers all the same version of Postgres(or are they even
>     all Postgres servers), so do you have to take into account version
>     differences?
>

> All servers are in same version, PostgreSQL 9.4.
>
> Thanks & Regards,
> Anderson Abreu
>

>         Can do thiswithshellscript.
>
>         I would like to knowifthis is the only way?
>

>     No, that is the problem:)
>

>         Thanks & Regards
>

>         ---
>
>         Anderson Abreu
>         andersonabreu@gmail.com <mailto:andersonabreu@gmail.com>
>         <mailto:andersonabreu@gmail.com <mailto:andersonabreu@gmail.com>>
>
>         "Thejudokaiswhathas:humilitytolearnwhatyouteach,patienceto teachwhat
>         theylearnedtotheir fellow manandfaithtobelieve in whatyou don't
>         understand.Learna little more every dayanduse it every dayfor the
>         good"(Jigoro Kano)
>

>     --
>     Adrian Klaver

Adrian Klaver