Re: PostgreSQL Developer Best Practices

От Gavin Flower
Тема Re: PostgreSQL Developer Best Practices
Дата
Re: PostgreSQL Developer Best Practices
Список pgsql-general
On 26/08/15 04:33, Marc Munro wrote:
> On Sat, 2015-08-22 at 15:15 +0000, Melvin Davidson wrote:
>
>> I've been searching for a "PostgreSQL Developer Best Practices" with not
>> much luck,
>> so I've started my own. At the risk of stirring up a storm of controversy,
>> I would appreciate additional suggestions and feedback.
>>
> You might add: Create all relation names as plurals.
>
> Or, if your site uses predominantly singular names, make that the
> standard.  Consistency within the site is more important than any
> dogmatic belief about whether singular or plural forms is better.  If
> you don't put it in the standard, someone will eventually create tables
> with names that don't gel with everything else.
>
> __
> Marc

Actually I would suggest standardising on singular names, not JUST
because that this the standard I prefer!  :-)

But (also) because:

 1. Singular words tend to be shorter

 2. plurals are more ambiguous wrt spelling

 3. there other good reasons, that I've forgotten for now :-(
    (but I remember having them!!!)

Cheers,
Gavin

От: Gavin Flower
Сообщение: Re: PostgreSQL Developer Best Practices
От: Neil Tiffin
Сообщение: Re: PostgreSQL Developer Best Practices