Re: PATCH:do not set Win32 server-side socket buffer size on windows 2012

От Heikki Linnakangas
Тема Re: PATCH:do not set Win32 server-side socket buffer size on windows 2012
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 07/04/2015 02:03 PM, chenhj wrote:
> 2015-07-03 16:49:44,"David Rowley" <david.rowley@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
>
>> I'm wondering what the original test setup was. I'm assuming psql
>> and  postgres both running on separate windows machines?
>
>> I've tested the patch just connecting to a database running on
>> localhost and I'm not getting much of a speedup. Perhaps 1%, if
>> that's not noise. I don't have enough hardware here to have client
>> and server on separate machines, at least not with a stable network
>> that goes through copper.
>
> My original test environments is as the following
>
> Environment1:
> Server:Windows 2012(x64)
>    The host is a VM in a private cloud
> Client:RHEL6(x64)
>   The host is another VM in the same private cloud
> Network:1Gbit LAN
>

> Environment2:
> Server:Windows 2012(x64)
>    The host is a VM in a private cloud
> Client:Windows 7(x64)
>    The host is a physical machine(in fact it is My PC).
> Network:1Gbit LAN
>

> This Patch should only can speedup the environment which satisfy the following conditions.
> 1. The OS of the server is Windows 2012 or Win8(but i only tested it in Windows 2012).
> 2. The client and the server is separate machines.
> 3. The performance bottleneck is network throughput.
> 4. The utilization rate of network bandwidth is not full(such as only 50% or lower).

I was able to reproduce huge gains from this, after I introduced an
artificial latency to all network packets with:

tc qdisc add dev eth2 root netem delay 100ms

With that, and with the client on different host so that the traffic
goes through that high-latency network, I saw over 10x difference with
the same psql test you ran.

Committed, thanks!

- Heikki