Re: [HACKERS] Proposal: pg_rewind to skip config files

От Vladimir Borodin
Тема Re: [HACKERS] Proposal: pg_rewind to skip config files
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers

5 сент. 2017 г., в 15:48, Michael Paquier <michael.paquier@gmail.com> написал(а):

On Tue, Sep 5, 2017 at 9:40 PM, Vladimir Borodin <root@simply.name> wrote:
We do compress WALs and send them over network. Doing it via archive_command
in single thread is sometimes slower than new WALs are written under heavy
load.

Ah, yeah, true. I do use pg_receivexlog --compress for that locally
and do a bulk copy of only the compressed WALs needed, when needed...
So there is a guarantee that completed segments are durable locally,
which is very useful.

It seems that option --compress appeared only in postgres 10 which is not ready for production yet. BTW I assume that pg_receivexlog is single-threaded too? So it still may be the bottleneck when 3-5 WALs per second are written.

You should definitely avoid putting that in
PGDATA though, the same counts for tablespaces within PGDATA for
example.

I would love to but there might be some problems with archiving and in many cases the only partition with enough space to accumulate WALs is partition for PGDATA.

--
May the force be with you…