Re: Minor revision downgrade (9.2.11 -> 9.2.10)

От Fabio Ugo Venchiarutti
Тема Re: Minor revision downgrade (9.2.11 -> 9.2.10)
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Hi

Perfectly legitimate question.

The migration was just physical storage relocation, so the entirety of
the root file system, configuration and data was simply moved between
physical boxes.

As it turns out, the fault was at both ends in different stages: during
the first wave of outages they had bad CPU throttling settings on the
machine hardware.

That didn't improve performance by much tho: the real culprit was some
months-old package manager mishap reverting transparent huge pages to
"always" in the kernel (it was set and protected from change after a
previous troubleshooting hell).

For some reason it didn't bite us until we moved to this new machine.
And yes, there has been a reboot after the reversal. Perhaps we just got
lucky with memory allocation patterns up to that point

Thank you everyone.

Best regards

Fabio