Re: backup.sgml WIP (patch included)

От Joshua D. Drake
Тема Re: backup.sgml WIP (patch included)
Дата
Список pgsql-docs
Hello,

Here is an updated patch with current work:

1. Merged multiple note tags into paragraphs per PeterE's feedback on
the man page.

2. Added text explaining the examples

3. Added example of the single transaction/on error stop

A change I did not make per Craig Ringer (and plenty of other people
through the years):

"Instead we should be advising people to use pg_dump -Fc and pg_restore
as their default and primary method of dumping a database. It is rarely
desirable to use text dumps and if pg_dump was being written now, it'd
surely default to -Fc ."

I think we really need to think about this. I have argued for this
change many times in the past and if I am honest, too many people that
have nothing to do with PostgreSQL in the real world keep telling me and
others we are wrong.

The plain text format should be available of course but it should not be
what we suggest or even talk about as the first option.

As before this only touches the SQL DUMP portion of the docs.

Sincerely,

JD

Вложения