Re: jsonb concatenate operator's semantics seem questionable

От Andrew Dunstan
Тема Re: jsonb concatenate operator's semantics seem questionable
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 05/22/2015 03:27 PM, Peter Geoghegan wrote:
> On Fri, May 22, 2015 at 11:59 AM, Andrew Dunstan <andrew@dunslane.net> wrote:
>> As for raising an error, in principle it's doable, but the code to detect it
>> might get messy. Also, I don't want a huge number of knobs. So I'm excited
>> about the idea.
> I think that that's a bad default behavior, although I don't think
> that's what Jim means. Consider our experience with having subscript
> operators throw errors -- it complicates certain cases (my complaint
> at the time was about expression indexes, but there are others).

I certainly agree about indexable operations. However this seems
unlikely to be indexed, although I'm prepared to be educated on that point.

Still I'd rather not add yet another parameter to the function, and I
certainly don't want to make throwing an error the only behaviour.

cheers

andrew