Re: PostGIS spatial extensions

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: PostGIS spatial extensions
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Paul Ramsey <pramsey@refractions.net> writes:
> However, if I have an RPM-based installation, I *will* have
> the server headers I need. Why do we discriminate against people who
> compile from the tarball?

We don't.  We do, however, assume that they read the installation
instructions:
    The standard install installs only the header files needed for client application development. If you plan to do
any   server-side program development (such as custom functions or datatypes written in C), then you may want to
install   the entire PostgreSQL include tree into your target include directory. To do that, enter

    gmake install-all-headers
    This adds a megabyte or two to the install footprint, and is only useful if you don't plan to keep the whole source
tree   around for reference. (If you do, you can just use the source's include directory when building server-side
software.)

If Peter's notion of installing server-side headers into a separate
subdirectory pans out, it might be worth thinking about installing all
headers all the time.  Right now I'd vote against it, on the grounds
that it adds too much include-file clutter for something that very few
people need.