Re: initdb start server recommendation

От Andrew Dunstan
Тема Re: initdb start server recommendation
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 05/07/2015 09:58 AM, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> Frankly, I am not sure how they are starting the server as the
> /etc/init.d startup files don't handle multiple clusters well, and I
> have never seen instructions on how multi-cluster users are supposed to
> set things up.  I assume they are copying the existing init.d file with
> a new name and modifying PGDATA and maybe the port number, then doing
> 'service ... start' or something like that.  I doubt we want initdb to
> recommend that.

Then you haven't been paying attention, and no, that's not the right way
to do it. The PGDG RPMs, for example, support multi-tenancy very easily,
both for systems that use init scripts and those using systemd.  I have
blogged about how to do this here:

<http://web.archive.org/web/20111127175231/http://people.planetpostgresql.org/andrew/index.php?/archives/233-Multi-tenancy-under-systemd.html>

and here

<http://web.archive.org/web/20111221072621/http://people.planetpostgresql.org/andrew/index.php?/archives/134-Multi-tenancy-done-right.html>

But in any case, it's largely irrelevant, ISTM. Anybody who actually
needs that message from initdb should almost be using pg_ctl instead of
calling postgres direct.

cheers

andrew