Re: schema or database

От Ian Barwick
Тема Re: schema or database
Дата
Re: schema or database  (Michael Cheung <vividy@justware.co.jp>)
Re: schema or database  (Alban Hertroys <haramrae@gmail.com>)
Список pgsql-general
On 13/04/15 11:08, Michael Cheung wrote:
> hi, all;
>
> I am new here. And I need some suggestion.
>
> I have many similar database to store data for every customer.
> Structure of database is almost the same.
> As I use same application to control all these data, so I can only use
> one database user to connect to these database.
> And I have no needs to query table for different customer together.
>
> I wonder which I should use, different shema or different database to store data?
>
> I 'd like to know the advantage and disadvantage for using schema or database.

If as you say access to the database is via a single application database
user, it will probably make more sense to use multiple schemas rather than
multiple databases. Keeping everything in one database will simplify
administration (e.g. making backups - ypu'll just need to dump the one database
rather than looping through a variable number) and will make life easier if you
ever need to do some kind of query involving multiple customers.
There will also be less overhead when adding a new schema vs adding
a new database.

Regards

Ian Barwick

--