RES: RES: Issue on Varchar Ordering

От Erika Terahata Torres Prada e Silva - MPS
Тема RES: RES: Issue on Varchar Ordering
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
Thanks everybody.

The correct order in Portuguese would return as brazilian telephone guide
order as below:

select * from aluno order by nome
    id    nome
    38    GABRIEL ALCIDES KLIM PERONDI
    40    GABRIEL ALEXANDRE DA SILVA MANICA
    36    GABRIELA HELEDA DE SOUZA
    37    GABRIELA JACOBY NOS
    39    GABRIELA LETICIA BATISTA NUNES

Indeed using POSIX, C, the result above is Ok, but it doesn't work for me
because of the accented and special characters.

-----Mensagem original-----
De: Alvaro Herrera [mailto:alvherre@commandprompt.com]
Enviada em: quinta-feira, 17 de agosto de 2006 11:53
Para: Erika Terahata Torres Prada e Silva - MPS
Cc: pgsql-admin@postgresql.org
Assunto: Re: RES: [ADMIN] Issue on Varchar Ordering

Erika Terahata Torres Prada e Silva - MPS wrote:
> Peter,
>
> Thanks for answering.
>
> But it's not correct to my language pt_BR and it worked correctly with
> PostgreSQL at Windows and FreeBSD. I have this problem only with Debian
and
> now I'm looking for some Debian related issue.

It's still correct -- it's the ordering you'll find on the telephone
guide.  It works the same for portuguese and for spanish and a lot
others.  The problem with going to C locale (POSIX), as suggested in a
related follow-up, is that it sorts by byte value, which is not at all
correct when you start sorting stuff that contains funny letters
(accented vowels, etc).  It works for english people just because they
don't worry about accents at all.  I wonder if portuguese has special
sorting rules for "nh", for example?  You'll lose that if you just
change to the C locale.

I think you _can_ define a collation on which spaces are significant,
but it's also a significant amount of work.  (And IMHO not at all worth
the trouble.)