Re: pg_upgrade and rsync

От Jim Nasby
Тема Re: pg_upgrade and rsync
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 1/29/15 5:53 PM, David Steele wrote:
> On 1/29/15 12:42 PM, Josh Berkus wrote:
>>> Right.  Josh is just listing all the steps --- the pg_upgrade docs
>>> already have that spelled out in detail.
>> What I'm also saying is that, if we expect anyone to be able to follow
>> all of these steps, it has to be very explicit; just saying "Follow the
>> pg_upgrade docs but don't start the master yet" isn't clear enough,
>> because the pg_upgrade docs have a few alternative paths.
>>
>> On  the whole, I personally would never follow this procedure at a
>> production site.  It's way too fragile and easy to screw up.
>
> I'm in agreement with Josh - I would not use this method.  I may be
> wrong, but it makes me extremely nervous.
>
> I prefer to upgrade the primary and get it back up as soon as possible,
> then take a backup and restore it to the replicas.  If the replicas are
> being used for read-only queries instead of just redundancy then I
> redirect that traffic to the primary while the replicas are being
> upgraded and restored.  This method has the least downtime for the primary.
>
> If you want less downtime overall then it's best to use the hot rsync /
> cold rsync with checksums method, though this depends a lot on the size
> of your database.
>
> Ultimately, there is no single best method.  It depends a lot on your
> environment.  I would prefer the official documents to contain very safe
> methods.

How do we define safe though? Your method leaves you without a backup server until your base backup completes and the
replicacatches up. I think we do a dis-service to our users by not pointing that out and providing a potential
alternate*so long as we spell out the tradeoffs/risks*.

Ultimately, I think this thread really shows the very large need for a tool that understands things like LSNs to
providersync-ish behavior that's actually safe.

FWIW, I personally am very leery of relying on pg_upgrade. It's too easy to introduce bugs, doesn't handle all cases,
andprovides no option for going back to your previous version without losing data. I much prefer old_version --
londiste--> new_version, and then doing the upgrade by reversing the direction of replication.

I also don't entirely trust PITR backups. It's too easy to accidentally break them in subtle ways.

Сообщение: Re: Exposing the stats snapshot timestamp to SQL
Сообщение: Re: Exposing the stats snapshot timestamp to SQL