Re: Small bug on CREATE EXTENSION pgq...

От Jim Nasby
Тема Re: Small bug on CREATE EXTENSION pgq...
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 1/28/15 10:25 PM, Tom Lane wrote:
>> * David Johnston (david.g.johnston@gmail.com) wrote:
>>> Fair enough but "reset" to what?  I don't know the internal mechanics but
>>> if the session default is "warning" and a local change sets it to "notice"
>>> then an unconditional reset would not get us back to the intended value.
>
>> Yeah, we'd really want to reset it to "what it was before."
>
> An extension script runs as a single transaction, so SET LOCAL could've
> been used to accomplish the result without trashing the session-lifespan
> setting.
>
> I'm not sure whether or not there was good reason to be changing the
> setting at all, but it's entirely on the extension script's head that
> it didn't do this in a less invasive way.

+1

One thing I have wished for is something akin to SET LOCAL that reverts at the end of a subtransaction. Typically I
onlyneed to tweak something like client_min_messages for a single command, so I'd prefer to

SAVEPOINT old_setting;
SET LOCAL blah;
command;
RELEASE old_setting;