Re: jsonb, unicode escapes and escaped backslashes

От Andrew Dunstan
Тема Re: jsonb, unicode escapes and escaped backslashes
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 01/28/2015 12:50 AM, Noah Misch wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 27, 2015 at 03:56:22PM -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
>> Andrew Dunstan <andrew@dunslane.net> writes:
>> So at this point I propose that we reject \u0000 when de-escaping JSON.
> I would have agreed on 2014-12-09, and this release is the last chance to make
> such a change.  It is a bold wager that could pay off, but -1 from me anyway.
> I can already envision the blog post from the DBA staying on 9.4.0 because
> 9.4.1 pulled his ability to store U+0000 in jsonb.  jsonb was *the* top-billed
> 9.4 feature, and this thread started with Andrew conveying a field report of a
> scenario more obscure than storing U+0000.  Therefore, we have to assume many
> users will notice the change.  This move would also add to the growing
> evidence that our .0 releases are really beta(N+1) releases in disguise.
>
>> Anybody who's seriously unhappy with that can propose a patch to fix it
>> properly in 9.5 or later.
> Someone can still do that by introducing a V2 of the jsonb binary format and
> preserving the ability to read both formats.  (Too bad Andres's proposal to
> include a format version didn't inform the final format, but we can wing it.)
> I agree that storing U+0000 as 0x00 is the best end state.

We need to make up our minds about this pretty quickly. The more radical
move is likely to involve quite a bit of work, ISTM.

It's not clear to me how we should represent a unicode null. i.e. given
a json of '["foo\u0000bar"]', I get that we'd store the element as
'foo\x00bar', but what is the result of
   (jsonb '["foo\u0000bar"')->>0

It's defined to be text so we can't just shove a binary null in the
middle of it. Do we throw an error?

And I still want to hear more voices on the whole direction we want to
take this.

cheers

andrew