Re: proposal: plpgsql - Assert statement

От Jim Nasby
Тема Re: proposal: plpgsql - Assert statement
Дата
Re: proposal: plpgsql - Assert statement  (Pavel Stehule <pavel.stehule@gmail.com>)
Список pgsql-hackers
On 1/22/15 2:01 PM, Pavel Stehule wrote:

>         * I would to simplify a behave of evaluating of message expression - probably I disallow NULL there.
>

>     Well, the only thing I could see you doing there is throwing a different error if the hint is null. I don't see
thatas an improvement. I'd just leave it as-is.

> I enabled a NULL - but enforced a WARNING before.

I don't see the separate warning as being helpful. I'd just do something like

+                 (err_hint != NULL) ? errhint("%s", err_hint) : errhint("Message attached to failed assertion is
null")));

There should also be a test case for a NULL message.

>         * GUC enable_asserts will be supported
>

>     That would be good. Would that allow for enabling/disabling on a per-function basis too?
>

> sure - there is only question if we develop a #option enable|disable_asserts. I have no string idea.

The option would be nice, but I don't think it's strictly necessary. The big thing is being able to control this on a
per-functionbasis (which I think you can do with ALTER FUNCTION SET?)