Re: Reducing buildfarm disk usage: remove temp installs when done

От Andrew Dunstan
Тема Re: Reducing buildfarm disk usage: remove temp installs when done
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 01/19/2015 12:28 AM, Tom Lane wrote:
>> An alternative would be to remove the pgsql directory at the end of the
>> run and thus do a complete fresh checkout each run. As you say it would
>> cost some time but save some space. At least it would be doable as an
>> option, not sure I'd want to make it non-optional.
> What I was thinking is that a complete-fresh-checkout approach would
> remove the need for the copy_source step that happens now, thus buying
> back at least most of the I/O cost.  But that's only considering the
> working tree.  The real issue here seems to be about having duplicative
> git repos ... seems like we ought to be able to avoid that.

It won't save a copy in the case of a vpath build, because there's no
copying done then.

But I'm wondering if we should look at using the tricks git-new-workdir
uses, setting up symlinks instead of a full clone. Then we'd have one
clone with a bunch of different work dirs. That plus a but of explicitly
done garbage collection and possibly a periodic re-clone might do the trick.

cheers

andrew