Re: Proper use of pg_xlog_location_diff()

От Fabio Ugo Venchiarutti
Тема Re: Proper use of pg_xlog_location_diff()
Дата
Список pgsql-general

On 16/01/15 14:37, Jim Nasby wrote:
> On 1/15/15 7:12 PM, Fabio Ugo Venchiarutti wrote:
>> Greetings
>>

>> Our company is writing a small ad-hoc implementation of a load
>> balancer for Postgres (`version()` = PostgreSQL 9.2.9 on
>> x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, compiled by gcc (GCC) 4.4.7 20120313 (Red
>> Hat 4.4.7-4), 64-bit).
>>
>> We're using both streaming and WAL shipping based replication.
>>

>> Most mainstream solutions seem to implement load balancing with plain
>> round robin over a connection pool. Given that our cloud nodes are
>> diversely capable and subject to noisy neighborhood conditions, we
>> need to factor in instantaneous load profiles (We achieved this by
>> exporting some /sys and /proc paths through custom views and
>> everything works as expected).
>>

>> We're now adding functionality to temporarily blacklist hot standby
>> clusters based on their WAL records lag and pg_xlog_location_diff()
>> seems to be the key tool for this, but we're perhaps misusing it.
>>

>> The current draft implementation uses the following queries and
>> compares the output to determine how many bytes a given slave is lagging.
>> Is there any shortcoming to such approach?
>>

>> --------------------------------
>> -- ON MASTER:
>> --------------------------------
>> SELECT
>>      pg_xlog_location_diff(pg_current_xlog_location(), '000/00000000')
>> ;
>> --------------------------------
>
> That's very nonsensical; it will always return the same thing as
> pg_current_xlog_location.
>
>> --------------------------------
>> -- ON STANDBY:
>> --------------------------------
>> SELECT
>>      pg_xlog_location_diff(
>>          COALESCE(
>>              pg_last_xlog_receive_location(),
>
> Note that that is the xlog location that has been *sync'd to disk*. That
> could potentially lag significantly behind the master's LSN. I think
> your safest bet would be getting pg_current_xlog_location from the
> master and subtracting pg_last_xlog_replay_location() from it (but note
> you could get a negative result).
>
> BTW,
> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/devel/static/warm-standby.html#STREAMING-REPLICATION
> says to use pg_last_xlog_receive_location() instead of
> pg_last_xlog_replay_location() because it tells you what's committed to
> disk on a standby vs what's visible. But for what you're doing I think
> you want pg_last_xlog_replay_location().
>
> Also, I don't think you should coalesce. If you get a NULL for any of
> this then something's almost certainly wrong (like a server is
> misconfigured). If you were going to coalesce I'd say you should
> coalesce to 2^63-1.

Thank you

 >> --------------------------------
 >> -- ON MASTER:
 >> --------------------------------
 >> SELECT
 >>      pg_xlog_location_diff(pg_current_xlog_location(), '000/00000000')
 >> ;
 >> --------------------------------
 >
 > That's very nonsensical; it will always return the same thing as
 > pg_current_xlog_location.

I know it seems odd but I'm just using the query itself to keep
everything in decimals as my safety threshold is expressed in bytes.

The question this query asks is "how many WAL bytes does this cluster
know about since the hypothetical record 000/00000000"?

Then I do the math.

The actual full form is the same for both master and standbys (already
changed based on your input):

--------------------------------
SELECT
    pg_is_in_recovery() AS in_recovery,
    pg_xlog_location_diff(
        (CASE
            WHEN (pg_is_in_recovery()) THEN
                pg_last_xlog_replay_location()
            ELSE
                pg_current_xlog_location()
        END),
        '000/00000000'
    ) AS total_wal_offset
--------------------------------

 > says to use pg_last_xlog_receive_location() instead of
 > pg_last_xlog_replay_location() because it tells you what's committed to
 > disk on a standby vs what's visible. But for what you're doing I think
 > you want pg_last_xlog_replay_location().

You basically framed what my question boils down to.

I'm trying to get my head around
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.2/static/functions-admin.html#FUNCTIONS-RECOVERY-INFO-TABLE

Does it mean that pg_last_xlog_receive_location() returns the last WAL
record that has been successfully "staged for replay" by the stream
replication whereas pg_last_xlog_replay_location() returns the last
successful WAL replay regardless of it coming from streaming or archive
shipping?
As in 2 different stages the first of which is basically irrelevant to
record visibility?

Many thanks

Fabio