Re: PostgreSQL Dump rate is too slow

От Joshua D. Drake
Тема Re: PostgreSQL Dump rate is too slow
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
On 01/14/2015 12:20 PM, Eduardo Morras wrote:

> On Thu, 8 Jan 2015 11:05:54 +0530
> girish R G peetle <giri.anamika0@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>> We have a customer who has 1TB database on a production server. They
>> are trying dump based backup of this large database. Following dump
>> command is being used.
>> Dump rate is around 12 GB/hr, which will take lot of time for the
>> backup to complete. This is affecting their production server.
>> Is there is a way to increase dump data rate ?
>>
>> pg_dump -U <User> -Fc -b --port=<Port> '<Db-Name>'
>>

> Do not use pg_dump compression, pipe output to xz
>
> % pg_dump -U <User> -Fc -b --port=<Port> '<Db-Name>' | xz -3 dump.xz
>
> or pipe xz output to other program.
>
> When I looked for the same problem in 8.3-8.4 versions, the bottleneck was in accessing TOAST tables, it's content
wasdecompressed, dumped and recompressed again, don't know if it has changed in current versions.

Don't do this. You are still looking at an extremely slow dump. Instead
set up a warm or hot standby or use pg_basebackup.

JD

High Availability, Oracle Conversion, @cmdpromptinc
"If we send our children to Caesar for their education, we should
              not be surprised when they come back as Romans."

От: Eduardo Morras
Сообщение: Re: PostgreSQL Dump rate is too slow
От: Jorge Torralba
Сообщение: Difficulty installing patch