Re: proposal: CREATE DATABASE vs. (partial) CHECKPOINT

От Jim Nasby
Тема Re: proposal: CREATE DATABASE vs. (partial) CHECKPOINT
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 10/30/14, 2:13 PM, Heikki Linnakangas wrote:
> On 10/30/2014 08:56 PM, Andres Freund wrote:
>> I actually think we should *always* use the new code and not
>> add a separate wal_level=minimal branch. Maintaining this twice just
>> isn't worth the effort. minimal is used *far* less these days.
>
> I wouldn't go that far. Doing the wal_level=minimal optimization should be pretty straightforward. Note that it would
beimplemented more like CREATE INDEX et al with wal_level=minimal, not the way CREATE DATABASE currently works. It
wouldnot involve any extra checkpoints.

+1

At my previous job, we used createdb -T copy_from_production new_dev_database, because that was far faster than
re-loadingthe raw SQL dump all the time. It'd be a shame to have that need to write the copied data 2x. IIRC that
databasewas around 20MB.

От: Tom Lane
Сообщение: Re: TAP test breakage on MacOS X
От: Jim Nasby
Сообщение: Re: TAP test breakage on MacOS X