Re: Inconsistency between PgAdmin III GUI and SQL window ?

От Adrian Klaver
Тема Re: Inconsistency between PgAdmin III GUI and SQL window ?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On 10/22/2014 03:25 AM, Daniel Begin wrote:
> David, Adrian,
> I am new to databases and since PgAdmin displays Catalogs, Event Triggers,
> Extensions and Schema as "Child" of the database, I assumed that Extensions
> were linked to a specific database, not to a specific schema.

Yes and no. If they are installed in the pg_catalog schema then they are
available database wide:

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.3/static/ddl-schemas.html

In addition to public and user-created schemas, each database contains a
pg_catalog schema, which contains the system tables and all the built-in
data types, functions, and operators. pg_catalog is always effectively
part of the search path. If it is not named explicitly in the path then
it is implicitly searched before searching the path's schemas. This
ensures that built-in names will always be findable. However, you can
explicitly place pg_catalog at the end of your search path if you prefer
to have user-defined names override built-in names.

This is where you will find the procedural languages. So in psql you can
do the below to see what is installed and where:

test=# \dx
                                  List of installed extensions
    Name    | Version |   Schema   |                        Description

  hstore    | 1.2     | public     | data type for storing sets of (key,
value) pairs
  plpgsql   | 1.0     | pg_catalog | PL/pgSQL procedural language
  tablefunc | 1.0     | public     | functions that manipulate whole
tables, including crosstab

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com