Re: Bug with pg_ctl -w/wait and config-only directories

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Bug with pg_ctl -w/wait and config-only directories
Дата
Re: Bug with pg_ctl -w/wait and config-only directories
Список pgsql-hackers
> Tom Lane wrote:
>> As of fairly recently, the Fedora package also uses pg_ctl for both
>> starting and stopping.  We've fixed all the reasons that formerly
>> existed to avoid use of pg_ctl, and it's a real PITA to try to
>> implement the waiting logic at shell level.

> OK, that's a good use-case to warrant barrelling ahead with improving
> pg_ctl for config-only installs.

Did I say that?  The Fedora packages don't support config-only
arrangements (if you tried, SELinux would likely deny access to whatever
directory you chose ...)

> What releases do we want to apply that
> patch to allow postgres to dump config values and have pg_ctl use them?
> This patch is required for old/new installs for pg_upgrade to work.

I still think this is a matter for HEAD only.  We haven't supported
these cases in back branches and so there is little argument for
back-patching.