Re: Converting char to varchar automatically

От Jim Nasby
Тема Re: Converting char to varchar automatically
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On 10/6/14, 6:16 PM, Tom Lane wrote:
> Jim Nasby <Jim.Nasby@BlueTreble.com> writes:
>> Just a heads-up: each of those ALTER's will rewrite the table, so unless your database is tiny this will be a slow
process.There's ways to work around that, but they're significantly more complicated.

> I think he's trying to get rid of all the blank-padding he's got right
> now, so table rewrites are unavoidable.

Right, but there's other ways this could be done without requiring an outage. Like creating the new column with
temporaryname, put trigger on table, etc, etc.

Having dealt with an environment where downtime was thousands of dollars per minute I've gotten very creative at not
takingoutages. :)