Re: question

От Jim Nasby
Тема Re: question
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On 10/6/14, 10:15 AM, Andy Colson wrote:
> On 10/6/2014 10:07 AM, Emi Lu wrote:
>> Hello List,
>>
>> May I know will <idle> cause any potential performance issues for
>> psql8.3 please?
>> version (PostgreSQL 8.3.18 on x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, compiled by GCC
>> 4.1.2)
FYI, 8.3 is almost 7 years old and is no longer supported. I strongly suggest that you upgrade to something more
recent.
>> E.g., got 10 idle connections for 10 days.
>
> idle is ok.  It wastes a little extra ram, but wont hurt anything. "idle in transaction" for long periods of time is
bad.
It's more than just memory. Each connection has a slot in the proc array and there's places in the code that are pretty
sensitiveto how big that array gets. There's some other structures that have this issue as well. 10 extra connections
won'tmean much; 1000 certainly would.

--
Jim Nasby, Data Architect, Blue Treble