Re: [RFC] Incremental backup v2: add backup profile to base backup

От Marco Nenciarini
Тема Re: [RFC] Incremental backup v2: add backup profile to base backup
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Il 04/10/14 08:35, Michael Paquier ha scritto:
> On Sat, Oct 4, 2014 at 12:31 AM, Marco Nenciarini
> <marco.nenciarini@2ndquadrant.it> wrote:
>> Compared to first version, we switched from a timestamp+checksum based
>> approach to one based on LSN.
> Cool.
>
>> This patch adds an option to pg_basebackup and to replication protocol
>> BASE_BACKUP command to generate a backup_profile file. It is almost
>> useless by itself, but it is the foundation on which we will build the
>> file based incremental backup (and hopefully a block based incremental
>> backup after it).
> Hm. I am not convinced by the backup profile file. What's wrong with
> having a client send only an LSN position to get a set of files (or
> partial files filed with blocks) newer than the position given, and
> have the client do all the rebuild analysis?

The main problem I see is the following: how a client can detect a
truncated or removed file?

Regards,
Marco

--
Marco Nenciarini - 2ndQuadrant Italy
marco.nenciarini@2ndQuadrant.it | www.2ndQuadrant.it

От: Michael Paquier
Сообщение: Re: WAL format and API changes (9.5)