Re: New developer TODO suggestions

От Craig Ringer
Тема Re: New developer TODO suggestions
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 07/29/2014 10:43 PM, Bruce Momjian wrote:
>> > * When a user tries to run "psql -f some_custom_format_backup", detect
>> > this and emit a useful error message. Ditto stdin.
>
> Uh, good idea, but can we really do that in psql?

Where stdin is a file, or an explicit -f is given, then yes.

Just look for PGDMP as the first five bytes and complain.

To do it more generally we'd need to look at each statement and see if
it seems to begin with PGDMP. I'm not sure that's worth it; handling the
simple cases of

psql -f mydb.dump

and

psql < mydb.dump

would be quite sufficient.

I'm not 100% sure if we can easily differentiate the second case from
"pg_dump | psql"; I know there's isatty(...) to test if stdin is a
terminal, but I'm not sure how easy/possible it is to tell if it's a
file not a pipe.

pg_restore already knows to tell you to use psql if it sees an SQL file
as input. Having something similar for pg_dump would be really useful.