Re: END_OF_RECOVERY shutdowns and ResetUnloggedRelations()

От Andres Freund
Тема Re: END_OF_RECOVERY shutdowns and ResetUnloggedRelations()
Дата
Re: END_OF_RECOVERY shutdowns and ResetUnloggedRelations()  (Abhijit Menon-Sen <ams@2ndQuadrant.com>)
Список pgsql-hackers
On 2014-09-12 14:44:48 -0400, Robert Haas wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 12, 2014 at 7:22 AM, Andres Freund <andres@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
> > What I like even less is that pg_control is actually marked as
> > DB_SHUTDOWNED due to END_OF_RECOVERY. That's just plain wrong. Obviously
> > the database was *NOT* shutdown peacefully. I don't see active bugs due
> > it besides this, but I think it's likely to either have or create futher
> > ones.
>
> I agree.  The database clearly isn't shut down at end of recovery;
> it's still active and we're still doing things to it.  If we crash at
> that point, we need to go back into recovery on restart.  This seems
> open and shut, but maybe I'm missing something.  Why shouldn't we fix
> *that*?

Well, I think we might want to do both. There doesn't seem to be a
reason to *not* do the ResetUnloggedRelation(UNLOGGED_RELATION_INIT)
around the ShutdownWalRcv(). That seems much closer where it, for me,
logically belongs. And it'd fix the concrete problem.

For DB_SHUTDOWNED (is that actually a word? Looks like it could be from
me...) the case isn't that clear:

If you start a node after a crash and stop it as soon as it finished, it
doesn't need recovery again. Similar if a node is promoted and doesn't
use fast promotion or a older release. Now, I think this is a pretty
dubious benefit. But I'm not sure it's wise to change it in the back
branches.

> With regard to your second email, I agree that
> ResetUnloggedRelation(UNLOGGED_RELATION_INIT) needs to issue fsyncs.

Good.

The topic reminds me of the fact that I actually think at the very least
pg_xlog/ and pg_control needs the same treatment. Consider the following
sequence:
1) postgres writes loads of stuff. Lots of it to *not* fsynced WAL  segments
2) postgres crashes and crash recovery happens. Replays *not* fsynced  WAL
3) the OS crashes
4) Bad. We now might hava pg_control with a minRecovery that's *later*  than some potentially unsynced WAL segments

I think the easiest would be to just fsync() the entire data directory
at the start when ControlFile->state !=
DB_SHUTDOWNED/DB_SHUTDOWNED_IN_RECOVERY

Note that that's independent of the fsync for unlogged relations.

Greetings,

Andres Freund

Services