Re: Regarding timezone

От Adrian Klaver
Тема Re: Regarding timezone
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On 09/17/2014 01:14 PM, Dev Kumkar wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 18, 2014 at 1:22 AM, Adrian Klaver
> <adrian.klaver@aklaver.com <mailto:adrian.klaver@aklaver.com>> wrote:
>
>     On 09/17/2014 12:26 PM, Dev Kumkar wrote:
>
>         I hope the binaries archive containing ""pgsql/share/postgresql/
>         timezone/Europe/Moscow" uploaded at
>         http://www.enterprisedb.com/__products-services-training/__pgbindownload
>         <http://www.enterprisedb.com/products-services-training/pgbindownload>
>         will also get corrected.
>

>     They will.
>

> Thanks, on 25 October 2014 the timezone will change permanently.
> Currently binaries are at 9.3.5.1 level, will keep an watch on the update.
>
>     No, because a timezone(versus an offset) definition includes a
>     historical record of the changes in the timezone. For all the gory
>     details see:
>
>     http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tz_database
>

> Great info! So the historical Moscow timestamps will still reflect GMT+4
> based on the datetime.

Or GMT+3 depending on the time of the year and what year:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moscow_Time

A timezone definition does not necessarily mean a single offset. For
instance I live on the US West coast(Washington state) so I am in the
America/Los_Angeles(or US/Pacific ) timezone. This means the actual
offset changes over the course of a year and by year:

test=> show timezone;
   TimeZone

------------

  US/Pacific

(1 row)

test=> select now();
               now

-------------------------------

  2014-09-17 13:43:22.546162-07

(1 row)

test=> select '2014-11-03'::timestamptz;
       timestamptz
------------------------
  2014-11-03 00:00:00-08
(1 row)

test=> select '2000-10-30'::timestamptz;
       timestamptz
  2000-10-30 00:00:00-08
(1 row)

--