Re: Why isn't Java support part of Postgresql core?

От Achilleas Mantzios
Тема Re: Why isn't Java support part of Postgresql core?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On 15/09/2014 08:22, cowwoc wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Out of curiosity, why is Postgresql's Java support so poor? I am
> specifically looking for the ability to write triggers in Java.
>
> I took a look at the PL/Java project and it looked both incomplete and dead,
> yet other languages like Javascript are taking off. I would have expected to
> see very strong support for Java because it's the most frequently used
> language on the server-side.

This is far from dead. I works perfectly with java 1.7 and postgresql 9.3 ,
but you need maybe a little bit more extra homework + some skills with
maven.
If i managed to build this on a FreeBSD machine, in linux it should a piece of cake.
The docs suck, granted, but the community is very much alive and helpful.
We use it for production environment. We had some really complex Java code, that
we were unwilling to port to pl/pgsql, therefore we gave pl/java a try.
It was worth it. + it has proven to be really stable. No JVM crashes after 2 years in production.