Re: PL/pgSQL 2

От Shaun Thomas
Тема Re: PL/pgSQL 2
Дата
Re: PL/pgSQL 2  (Joel Jacobson <joel@trustly.com>)
Список pgsql-hackers
On 09/01/2014 04:04 AM, Joel Jacobson wrote:

> + Make UPDATE/INSERT/DELETE throw error if they didnt' modify exactly 1
> row, as that's the most common use-case, and provide alternative syntax
> to modify multiple or zero rows.

What? No. The whole point of SQL is that it's set-based and can modify
multiple rows at once. Hobbling it specifically for functions seems
fundamentally flawed. Especially for what we purport to be a core
PostgreSQL language.

> + Change all warnings into errors

I... what? I could see coming up with a better exception handling
mechanism for escalating messages. But you're talking about taking a
core element of PostgreSQL (warnings) and simply ripping them out so
plpgsql2 loses even that small functionality.

I'm sure you've put a lot of thought into this, but you're not the only
person using plpgsql or any, however ambitious, potential replacement.

--
Shaun Thomas
OptionsHouse, LLC | 141 W. Jackson Blvd. | Suite 800 | Chicago IL, 60604