Re: On-line docs for PG 8.1 need updating

От Michael Glaesemann
Тема Re: On-line docs for PG 8.1 need updating
Дата
Список pgsql-www
On Nov 7, 2005, at 6:46 , Neil Conway wrote:

> On Sun, 2005-06-11 at 22:37 +0100, Magnus Hagander wrote:
>> That's intentional, it's scheduled to go up along with the press
>> release
>> and related info once the release is done.
>
> What is the reasoning for this? IMHO for future releases it would be a
> better idea to make the beta documentation a part of the main
> website's
> list of documentation at about the same time the first beta is
> released.
> That would make the documentation easier to find and would also
> encourage more people to use the beta.

I agree with your points. One reservation I have is that people might
be more likely to run a beta in a production environment. Nowadays it
seems increasingly common for projects to release betas for
widespread circulation. I don't know if this is something that should
be encouraged for PostgreSQL. I'd hate to see people get a bad
impression of PostgreSQL because a beta screws up their data. Putting
it on the top page might lend it more credibility and lead people to
trust it in environments they shouldn't--even though PostgreSQL
hackers are very clear that beta should not be used in production.

I'd guess these things are better discussed on -advocacy.

Michael Glaesemann
grzm myrealbox com

В списке pgsql-www по дате отправления:

Сообщение: Re: On-line docs for PG 8.1 need updating
Сообщение: Re: On-line docs for PG 8.1 need updating