Re: improve installation short version

От Andrew Dunstan
Тема Re: improve installation short version
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 6/2/21 5:36 PM, Tom Lane wrote:
>> On 6/2/21 4:58 PM, Mark Dilger wrote:
>>> Prior to where your patch makes changes, the docs say, "If you are building PostgreSQL for Microsoft Windows, read
thischapter if you intend to build with MinGW or Cygwin".  I think going on to tell the users to use `su` is a bit odd.
Does that exist in standard MinGW and Cygwin environments?  I thought "run as" was the Windows option for this.

>> Yes, good point. We should fix that. Yes, "runas" is a sort of su.
>> There's no adduser either.
> There's a whole lot of Unix systems that don't spell that command
> as "adduser", either.  That whole recipe has to be understood as
> a guide, not something you can blindly copy-and-paste.
>
> Maybe what we really need is an initial disclaimer saying something
> along the lines of "Here's approximately what you need to do; adapt
> these commands per local requirements."
>
> And then, perhaps, change the last line to "For more detail, see
> the rest of this chapter".

Ok, patch attached

cheers

andrew

--
Andrew Dunstan
EDB: https://www.enterprisedb.com

Вложения

Сообщение: Re: A few source files have the wrong copyright year
Сообщение: Re: A few source files have the wrong copyright year