Re: improve installation short version

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: improve installation short version
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
> On 6/2/21 4:58 PM, Mark Dilger wrote:
>> Prior to where your patch makes changes, the docs say, "If you are building PostgreSQL for Microsoft Windows, read
thischapter if you intend to build with MinGW or Cygwin".  I think going on to tell the users to use `su` is a bit odd.
Does that exist in standard MinGW and Cygwin environments?  I thought "run as" was the Windows option for this.

> Yes, good point. We should fix that. Yes, "runas" is a sort of su.
> There's no adduser either.

There's a whole lot of Unix systems that don't spell that command
as "adduser", either.  That whole recipe has to be understood as
a guide, not something you can blindly copy-and-paste.

Maybe what we really need is an initial disclaimer saying something
along the lines of "Here's approximately what you need to do; adapt
these commands per local requirements."

And then, perhaps, change the last line to "For more detail, see
the rest of this chapter".