Re: Safely Killing Backends

От Thomas F.O'Connell
Тема Re: Safely Killing Backends
Дата
Список pgsql-general
My point/question is: when I've seen this before and recovery mode is
taking on the order of minutes, I find that doing:

pg_ctl stop -m i
pg_ctl start

is faster (on the order of seconds) than letting postgres finish
recovery mode. So I wonder:

1. Is this safe from a data integrity point of view?
2. Why is it faster?

Maybe the difference in time I've experienced is partially a result of
the number of connections that come in (via PHP) during recovery mode,
so recovering takes longer because the database is still in multi-user
mode and receiving connections even if not fulfulling requests?

-tfo

--
Thomas F. O'Connell
Co-Founder, Information Architect