Re: Koji, mock, fedpkg, etc?

От Craig Ringer
Тема Re: Koji, mock, fedpkg, etc?
Дата
Список pgsql-pkg-yum

On 07/29/2014 04:31 AM, Devrim Gündüz wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Mon, 2014-07-28 at 12:36 +0800, Craig Ringer wrote:
>
>> I've been looking into ways to streamline packaging, as I'm going
>> to need to be rolling on-demand packages soon and want to stay as
>> close as possible to PGDG.
>>
>> In the process, I've noticed that the PGDG yum/rpm packaging team
>> seems to have a lot of homebrew infrastructure that duplicates
>> facilities provided by Fedora/RH. For example, the use of Jenkins
>> for package building instead of koji and mock.
>
> We don't use any of the automated tools. Right now, there is
> *almost* zero automation.

OK, that's informative.

You use a bunch of generated Jenkins build jobs with dependencies to
do builds, if the wiki docs are correct. Is that still true?

If so, you might be interested in some recent patches I've submitted
to Jenkins - some reliability fixes for automanaged AWS EC2 build
workers, and a change that makes it easy to set the build status to
"unstable" with a shell return code.

> At 2007, when I started the yum repository project, I and Darcy
> (Buskermolen) tried to install koji a few times, but honestly we
> could not succeed. Then, gave up.

Given the rate at which that stuff changes and the way the docs tend
to go from non-existent to bitrotted in no time, I'm not shocked.

>> I've been taking the same approach as PGDG to date, as I only
>> just became aware of Koji and mock, as well as the ancillary
>> tools like the koji command line client, rpkg/fedpkg, etc.
>
> I really love koji -- at least when I use it for Fedora and EPEL
> packaging.

Good to know.

I'm trying to figure out if it's worth my setting it up for in-house
package builds, but as the current PGDG tree doesn't seem to be set up
to follow its conventions I think it might not yet be the way to go.

In particular, the svn tree with subdirs per distro seems to be quite
different to the koji convention of a git tree with branches per distro.

> TBH, I am not that eager to use automated tools -- at least the
> signing process needs manual work. Still, I am open to ideas of
> course.

RPM signing should be easily automated except for the actual input of
a keysigning passphrase or enabling of the key.

>> My only concern with Koji is that it doesn't seem friendly
>> toward low-demand dynamic package building, where VMs for package
>> building are launched on-demand and shut down after use. OTOH, I
>> might simply not have noticed a relevant tool or plugin yet.
>
> FWIW, our VMs are never shut down, and IIRC koji can work with it.

Makes sense.

>> I thought I'd ask here and solicit opinions/experience, in case
>> someone's already looked into this toolset and concluded that it
>> doesn't meet PGDG packaging needs. Or, if it's unfamiliar, find
>> out whether it might actually help solve any current challenges
>> with maintenance.
>
> Well, I think Jeff should also say his opinion. So far, I am
> pretty happy with what we have now, since I am used to it -- which
> also means that I may not be aware of the abnormalities of the
> process.

I'm familiar with that state of affairs in other areas I work with. So
I get it. It can also be frustrating to have new people then come
diving in and saying "why don't you use Hot New Tool #42?".

Now, speaking of Hot New Tool, have you looked at tito? Its
multi-release, multi-package management looks great, and it supports
direct integration with mock and koji.

- --