Re: Koji, mock, fedpkg, etc?

От Devrim Gündüz
Тема Re: Koji, mock, fedpkg, etc?
Дата
Список pgsql-pkg-yum
Hi,

On Mon, 2014-07-28 at 12:36 +0800, Craig Ringer wrote:

> I've been looking into ways to streamline packaging, as I'm going to
> need to be rolling on-demand packages soon and want to stay as close as
> possible to PGDG.
>
> In the process, I've noticed that the PGDG yum/rpm packaging team seems
> to have a lot of homebrew infrastructure that duplicates facilities
> provided by Fedora/RH. For example, the use of Jenkins for package
> building instead of koji and mock.

We don't use any of the automated tools. Right now, there is *almost*
zero automation.

At 2007, when I started the yum repository project, I and Darcy
(Buskermolen) tried to install koji a few times, but honestly we could
not succeed. Then, gave up.

> I've been taking the same approach as PGDG to date, as I only just
> became aware of Koji and mock, as well as the ancillary tools like the
> koji command line client, rpkg/fedpkg, etc.

I really love koji -- at least when I use it for Fedora and EPEL
packaging.

> Have these tools been specifically looked at? I'm wondering if they
> might make package building/maintenance easier.

TBH, I am not that eager to use automated tools -- at least the signing
process needs manual work. Still, I am open to ideas of course.

> My only concern with Koji is that it doesn't seem friendly toward
> low-demand dynamic package building, where VMs for package building are
> launched on-demand and shut down after use. OTOH, I might simply not
> have noticed a relevant tool or plugin yet.

FWIW, our VMs are never shut down, and IIRC koji can work with it.

> I thought I'd ask here and solicit opinions/experience, in case
> someone's already looked into this toolset and concluded that it doesn't
> meet PGDG packaging needs. Or, if it's unfamiliar, find out whether it
> might actually help solve any current challenges with maintenance.

Well, I think Jeff should also say his opinion. So far, I am pretty
happy with what we have now, since I am used to it -- which also means
that I may not be aware of the abnormalities of the process.

Regards,
--
Devrim GÜNDÜZ

Вложения