Trying to recover a corrupted database

От John Scalia
Тема Trying to recover a corrupted database
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
Hi all,

You may have seen my post from yesterday about our production database getting corrupted. Well, this morning we brought
thesystem down to single user and ran an fsck which did
report some drive errors. We repeated until no additional errors were reported. Then, we brought the system back to
multi-userstatus and ran a successful pg_basebackup on the
broken database. Since then we restarted the database and a ps -ef result looks like:

/usr/pgsql-9.2/bin/postmaster -D /opt/datacenter -o -c zero_damaged_pages=true -i -N 384 -p 5431

After the Db started up, we ran a VACUUM FULL ANALYZE which ran for about 3 hours, but the database is still showing
thesame type of errors in its log: invalid page header in
block 29718... etc. What disturbed me a little, is that I don't think the zero_damaged_pages got applied. Checking the
pg_settingstable, we got:

select name, setting, boot_val, reset_val from pg_settings where name = 'zero_damaged_pages';
                   name             |  setting  |  boot_val  | reset_val
  zero_damaged_pages  |  on          | off              | on

Now, my colleague ran this after he tried running some operations again after I told him how to set zero_damaged_pages
again.He swears that that it was on when the first VACUUM
FULL ANALYZE was run, but I'm not as sure. Plus, I don't understand why the boot_val shows as off. In any event, as
we'restill getting log errors like before, I don't really know
what to try next other than rerunning the VACUUM FULL again. Help?
--
Jay