Re: Extended Prefetching using Asynchronous IO - proposal and patch

От Heikki Linnakangas
Тема Re: Extended Prefetching using Asynchronous IO - proposal and patch
Дата
Re: Extended Prefetching using Asynchronous IO - proposal and patch
Список pgsql-hackers
On 05/29/2014 11:34 PM, Claudio Freire wrote:
> On Thu, May 29, 2014 at 5:23 PM, Heikki Linnakangas
> <hlinnakangas@vmware.com> wrote:

>>> It works on linux.    Actually this ability allows the asyncio
>>> implementation to
>>> reduce complexity in one respect (yes I know it looks complex enough) :
>>> it makes waiting for completion of an in-progress IO simpler than for
>>> the existing synchronous IO case,.   since librt takes care of the
>>> waiting.
>>> specifically,   no need for extra wait-for-io control blocks
>>> such as in bufmgr's  WaitIO()
>>
>> [checks]. No, it doesn't work. See attached test program.
>>
>> It kinda seems to work sometimes, because of the way it's implemented in
>> glibc. The aiocb struct has a field for the result value and errno, and when
>> the I/O is finished, the worker thread fills them in. aio_error() and
>> aio_return() just return the values of those fields, so calling aio_error()
>> or aio_return() do in fact happen to work from a different process.
>> aio_suspend(), however, is implemented by sleeping on a process-local mutex,
>> which does not work from a different process.
>>
>> Even if it worked on Linux today, it would be a bad idea to rely on it from
>> a portability point of view. No, the only sane way to make this work is that
>> the process that initiates an I/O request is responsible for completing it.
>> If another process needs to wait for an async I/O to complete, we must use
>> some other means to do the waiting. Like the io_in_progress_lock that we
>> already have, for the same purpose.
>
> But calls to it are timeouted by 10us, effectively turning the thing
> into polling mode.

We don't want polling... And even if we did, calling aio_suspend() in a
way that's known to be broken, in a loop, is a pretty crappy way of polling.

> Which is odd now that I read carefully, is how come 256 waits of 10us
> amounts to anything? That's just 2.5ms, not enough IIUC for any normal
> I/O to complete

Wild guess: the buffer you're reading is already in OS cache.

- Heikki

Сообщение: Re: CHECK_FOR_INTERRUPTS in spgdoinsert() isn't helpful
Сообщение: Re: CHECK_FOR_INTERRUPTS in spgdoinsert() isn't helpful